Attention Civ fanatics, Firaxis and 2K have released a massive patch for Civilization 5. It is now available on Steam for update.
I think a lot of people will be happy with this one. There’s a “restart map” feature now, improved performance, UI revisions, better AI and diplomacy are also announced and lots of nice balancing tweaks.
The patch release note is huge, so big that it should make for a nice weekend read :)
Anyway, my personal favorite changes are the following:
- Many performance improvements, particularly in the renderer
- Added “Restart Game” option to game menu. Only available at Turn 0
- When a unit is promoted, do NOT cycle immediately off that unit
- Resurrecting a player will have both sides forget any denouncing
- Reduced Happiness a bit from Mercantile City States
- Pillaging tiles now awards +25 hit points to the pillaging unit
- Reduced espionage notification spam (only informs about CS you have relations with)
- The AI will now liberate cities and resurrect players
- “We attacked your protected City-State” statements now triggered by damage done
- Tactical AI Improvement: Spend more gold on defense
- AI builds units for sneak attack at slightly higher priority in high difficulty levels
- AI will now consider annexing cities it has conquered
- Advanced settings are now persisted across multiple single player games
- More aggressive AI offshore expansion
- And much more here.
People are reporting faster turn processing and smoother gameplay.
This seems to be it people, or at least more than enough for another Civ5 run. Let’s just hope that the AI got smarter and is now able to do proper naval invasions, and do sneak attacks more also.
Remark: Civ patches usually apply to the latest version available, or expansion pack. In the case of Civ5 the latest expansion available (and only till now) is Civ5: Gods & Kings, so, expect the patch to apply to that version. It’s still to be confirmed if these changes also affect the original version or not, or in which extent.
By the way, here’s our Civ5: Gods & Kings review in case you’re wondering what the differences from the Civ5 vanilla are.Subscribe RSS
- Space Sector’s Bargain List: XCOM Enemy Unknown 35% Off
- Space Sector’s Bargain List: From Ancient to the Future
- Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Gods and Kings Pre-Orders Start
- Civilization 5: Brave New World Expansion Now Available
- Sid Meier’s Civilization 5: Gods & Kings Now Available