Are you interested in a Firefly, Dune, and Warhammer 40k inspired sci-fi colonization and survival game? Perhaps the idea of controlling 3 survivors stranded on a remote planet, starting a colony from scratch, and dealing with technologically diverse inhabitants and space critters appeals to you? If so, Tynan Sylvester and his Ludeon Studios have just the game for you. Its name is RimWorld, and it’s on Kickstarter right now.
It’s a bit misleading to say Ludeon Studios without referencing the fact that in reality, this is the work of one man right now. Tynan Sylvester is experienced though, and has written a book called Designing Games which is available on Amazon. He also worked on BioShock Infinite, amongst other titles.
So the developer has some experience, but what’s RimWorld all about? Well, here’s a feature list that I compiled myself based on the Kickstarter page that should help:
- Inspired by Firefly, Warhammer 40k’s universe, and stories in Dune and Alastair Reynolds’ Revelation Space series. Western style Sci-fi setting.
- Described as a combination of Dwarf Fortress, FTL, and Prison Architect gameplay.
- Create a base on the surface and within mountains, keep your colonists alive, trade, research, and defend yourself from intruders.
- Choice of Storyteller AI’s designed to create unique challenges and opportunities based on your current situation.
- Colonists all have their own personalities, traits, talents, and reactions to activities taking place around them.
- Advanced tactical combat including diverse weapons, cover, and an AI capable of flanking and other maneuvers.
- AI is supposed to help the player learn and manage the game through intelligent prompting and notifications.
- Deal with other inhabitants whose technology may range from bow and arrow to pulse rifles. Kill them, imprison them, enslave them, recruit them, the choice is yours.
Aside from those features, the other notable thing is that this game seems pretty far along in development. I’ve not had a chance to play it myself as of yet, but tiers are available to provide alpha access immediately following the Kickstarter if desired. There are also a few independent YouTube videos out showing some early gameplay for those seeking more information.
RimWorld is currently on Kickstarter and WAS seeking $20,000 CAD. I use the term WAS because they currently sit at more than $60,000 CAD with plenty of time to spare. They are also accepting PayPal on their website for those who want to back that way. The funding goal appears to be primarily for artwork and music/sound. They are also looking for votes on Steam Greenlight if you like what they are doing.Subscribe RSS
- Space Colony HD: Firefly’s Sci-Fi Strategy Simulation Updated
- Satellite Reign – Spiritual Successor to Syndicate Wars Funded
- A List of Space/Sci-Fi/Fantasy Games You Can’t Miss in 2016
- RimWorld: A Pre-Alpha Story – Part 1
- A List of Space/Sci-Fi/Fantasy Games You Can’t Miss in 2014