Today, developer Polar Motion, Slitherine and Matrix Games have officially released their new turn-based strategy and space program simulator, Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager: Road to the Moon.
This release includes the game’s first episode, Road to the Moon. Episode 2 should follow at a later stage and should be about the International Space Station. Episode 3 should complete the experience with a Trip to Mars. The idea is that part 2 and 3 will probably be sold as expansions packs, but that doesn’t seem to be set in stone yet, said Ignacio Liverotti in an interview we did back in May of this year.
We have some first impressions on the game from the time it was in “early access mode”, but they are quite old now (from almost 1 year ago). So, it’s expected that the game may have evolved a lot since then. Of course, we’ll have a proper review for you in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for that!
Here’s the official features list:
- Three different campaign modes: play as NASA or the Soviet space agency in order to be the first on the Moon or play as the Global Space Agency (GSA) and deal with the short-term objectives issued by politicians.
- Manage all aspects of your space agencies from their inception in the 1950’s through to the manned lunar landing missions
- Play the race to the Moon campaign mode against other players using Slitherine’s PBEM system.
- The Sandbox mode allows you to play as any of the three space agencies and removes all competition restrictions. You will have a fully featured playground in order to try out different approaches to space exploration!
- Create space programs and launch missions inspired by real programs such as the X-15 Space plane, the Sputnik satellite, the Gemini, Vostok and Apollo manned spacecraft and a lot more!
- Research and develop dozens of mission components from several program categories.
- Develop your facility with advanced structures and upgrades including the Vehicle Assembly Building and the Mission Control Centre.
- Recruit and train astronaut candidates and assign them to missions.
- Assemble an elite team of Scientists, Engineers, Technicians (SET), Flight Controllers for the best chance of success.
- Manage your agency’s budget.
- Mission components have an associated reliability factor and can cause catastrophic failures.
- Vast amounts of historical research ensure that the game’s huge database features missions that launched and many more that never left the drawing board!
- A vast array of components built in 3D and rendered out in exquisite detail allow you to follow the progress of your missions via animated sequences.
- The Buzz-opedia gives background information on the real programs, missions and hardware throughout the game.
- The soundtrack features a unique playlist for each space agency and numerous tracks for the mission animations.
- Designed in consultation with Dr. Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 Lunar Module Pilot and the second human being to set foot on the Moon!
Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager: Road to the Moon is now available for the PC on the Matrix Games store with a 34% discount until November 7th (after buying see here how to redeem a free Steam key). Slitherine/Matrix also announced that every player who buys the game before November 30th will be able to enter a competition and win prizes like a trip to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.Subscribe RSS
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager: “Good to Go” in June
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager to Launch in October
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager Early Access Available
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager Giveaway Contest! [RESULTS]
- Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager Screens [Updated]