I’ve received word that Damon Czanik and his team have completed an HD conversion of the acclaimed space adventure game Star Control 2. The mod is called Ur-Quan Masters HD and it uses the Ur-Quan Masters engine 0.7.0 build extended with improved graphics.
The Star Control 2 trademark is propriety of Atari. The original Star Control 2 was designed by Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III in 1992. In 2002 the devs released the game as open source to a community of fans, which started working on it to port it for today’s computers. That’s how the Ur-Quan Masters project came to life, and in this specific case Ur-Quan Masters HD, a branch of that project.
Ur-Quan Masters HD is still an alpha version but it’s already playable and is available for Windows, Mac and Linux (debian) for free. Yes, free stuff! :) If has no DRM and you don’t need any other package to play than the one found here. The devs expect to port the game also to Android. If you want, you can also play the game with the classic artwork. Boy, was I shocked when I find out that mouse input is not supported ;)Subscribe RSS
Leave a Comment
- Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Released
- Star Trek Supremacy – Open Source Free Game in Development
- Video Game Remakes (with an emphasis on SciFi, strategy and SciFi strategy games)
- Birth of the Empires – 4x TBS Open Source – Alpha 6 (version 0.8)
- Vigrior Got Fueled but Mercenary Games Wants More