Came across another space strategy game under development the other day, it is called Horizon. It will be a turn-based space strategy game set in the future where humans have just begun exploring outer space.
The story is about humanity coming into contact with other life forms and civilizations and the decisions they will have to make after that.
Features of Horizon
- Total open space, your ships can travel anywhere between stars and inside solar systems
- Full tactical combat across the galaxy, epic battles are possible between all races at the same time, reinforcements can arrive while battles are ongoing with no artificial limits on how long battles can last;
- In depth ship design which let’s you choose weapons, emplacements and specials on different hull sizes;
- Unique races, techs, weapons and ships based on each race’s culture and civilization;
- Smart diplomacy, coordinated actions between races like you’ve never seen before;
- Intelligent AI without cheating, that adjusts to the player actions as the game develops.
What inspired the design of Horizon
According to the Horizon FAQ “Many sci-fi shows and games have inspired the making of Horizon. But in short Babylon 5, Star Trek DS9 along with Star Control 2 and Master of Orion 1 and 2 had the greatest impact in the design and decision to make an epic sci-fi game that captured some of the best elements from these productions“.
A release data is not yet announced. The developers justify that by saing: “Being a small independent developer and our desire to release a game of certain quality, we are not cutting features that otherwise would have allowed us to announce and meet typical industry deadlines.“
No multiplayer in first version
The game will not have multiplayer. The devs say that due to their limited resources as well as design choices they favored a single player experience but promise that will be a depth experience that will compensate for the lack of a multiplayer mode in the first version of Horizon.
Screenshots (click to enlarge)
Check the Horizon forums for more information and updates on the game.Subscribe RSS
- L3O Interactive Signed with Iceberg Interactive for Horizon
- Horizon Alpha Access Now Available
- Horizon is Back on Track and Needs Your Help Too
- Horizon is Alive and Kicking – Close to Feature Complete!
- Horizon Screens [Updated]